The College History
The College History
Out of the intense desire of the public of this locality for the spread of higher education in this backward tribal area and in response to heavy public demand, the Govt. of Orissa evinced keen interest in starting a college at Jeypore from the session 1947-48. The philanthropist King Rajarshi Vikram Dev Verma who once ruled the state of Jeypore donated land and buildings for the college. His Diwan and other prominent citizens of the area extended all possible help and co-operation for this noble cause.
The college started functioning from 01-07-1947 as "JEYPORE COLLEGE" and Sj. K.M. Dwivedy joined the college as its first Principal on 06-07-1947. The college began with only 49 students, 09 teachers and 20 boarders in the hostel. Maharaja Vikram Dev Verma was a great patron of art, learning and culture in this neglected part of Orissa. As a tribute to his monumental contributions the Govt. of Orissa very aptly decided in 1951 to rechristen the erstwhile "JEYPORE COLLEGE" as "VIKRAM DEV COLLEGE". The statue of this great erudite scholar adorns the central place of the main building of the college.
The college was upgraded to a FIRST GRADE COLLEGE in 1961 with the opening of Under Graduate classes in Science and Humanities streams in 1961 and 1963 respectively. Honours teaching provisions were made during the years 1968-73. Teaching facilities at the Post-Graduate level were first initiated in the Department of History in 1979 and such facilities were extended to the Departments of Economics, Commerce and Political Science in 1983 and 1990 respectively. Higher secondary streams in Arts, Science and Commerce were introduced in 1983. Post- Graduate studies in Chemistry were introduced in 1993-94.
The college has been declared as one of the LEAD COLLEGES of Orissa since 1991-92. This institute celebrated its Golden Jubilee year in February, 1997 and brought out a Souvenir on this historical occasion. The U.G.C. has conferred autonomy to this premier educational institute in July, 2004. The college is an affiliated autonomous college of Berhampur University and recognized by the UGC under rule 128(1956) of UGC act. The college volunteered to be assessed and accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, and the team visited the college for three days during 26-28, March, 2007. On the recommendations of the NAAC team the UGC has conferred B++ status to this college.
The college, as one of the oldest colleges in the state, has been rendering yeoman's service to the students and public at large. The autonomous status conferred to the college has given a great impetus to take several initiatives for academic excellence and pedagogic expansion.